How to apply for the Yoast Diversity fund
Would you like to speak at WordPress or IT related event, but feel like you need some funding? Now is the time to apply for the Yoast Diversity fund! Let’s find out how.
Who can apply?
- The applicant is part of – or identifies as part of – a typically underrepresented group.
- The applicant has been accepted as a speaker to the conference.
- The conference is a non-commercial event.
- The event is on the same continent where you live.
- The goal is to keep the ecological impact as small as possible.
What does the Yoast Diversity Fund do for me?
The Yoast Diversity Fund helps you cover the costs. We don’t arrange your travel or accommodations for you. The reimbursed costs per event total may not exceed €1000.
How to apply
If you meet the criteria, you can apply for the diversity fund by sending an email to email@example.com. Your email should -at least- address the following items:
- Who are you? Please include a small bio and links to social media profiles.
- Which underrepresented group are you a part of?
- What conference are you applying for?
- Please share with us which costs you’d need to see reimbursed in order to be able to go to the conference.
Because Yoast is part of a US-based company (Newfold Digital), we must comply with US laws, including OFAC requirements. Therefore we will need to do an OFAC check on all the applicants.
We’ll review applications within one working week.
Yoast Diversity Fund FAQ
We’ve collected a bunch of frequently asked questions. Please review them carefully before you apply.
Our goal is to reimburse those costs that would keep you from speaking at tech conferences. If you, for whatever reason, have costs, such as child-care or specialized transport, for example, we invite you to share those with us and we’ll look at those in a per-case scenario.
Examples of costs we’re happy to reimburse are:
– Travel and transportation, e.g. gas, car rental, taxis or flights.
– Accommodation, hotel, Airbnb, or similar.
– Child-care costs.
– Sign language interpreter.
– Visa costs.
Our goal is to assist in increasing speaker diversity as much as possible. This means we’ll focus on first-time applications mostly. However, there is no limit to the number of times you can apply.
Yes. With the exception of Yoast employees, former Yoast employees, and contractors.
Applicants should apply at least one month before the event.
If you want to find out why we care about diversity, check out this digital story: Diversity, inequality and prejudice: a sociological exploration.